Friday, December 27, 2013

TTAC Salutes John Krafcik

john-krafcik-c

Automotive News reports that Hyundai CEO John Krafcik will be stepping down from his post as of January 1st, at the completion of his contract. While this would normally be the sort of thing reported by TTAC Staff, Krafcik has been as influential as former EIC's Bertel Schmitt and Ed Niedermeyer in my understanding of the auto industry.

A month after I was hired on at TTAC, I was tasked with my first press trip as a representative of the publication. The event was the first drive of the Hyundai Genesis Coupe, and it was made clear that I would have to be on my absolute best behavior. Both Bertel and Ed were well acquainted with Krafcik, and a number of Hyundai execs could be counted among the "silent majority" of TTAC readers who check in every day without participating in the comments. This event, according to Bertel, was not one where I would simply blend into the background as another nameless journalist on one of many waves attending the event.

Far from the overly chipper and polished CEO archetype that can be found in the industry, Krafcik always displayed a genuine warmth and interest in people, regardless of their reputation or standing. He was especially patient with me as I struggled to bring myself up to speed on the business and regulatory elements of the car world. Despite his busy schedule, Krafcik would often respond to my short email questions with a lengthy and detailed lesson via telephone as a means of helping to explain the granular side of the industry. Without him, I would not have anywhere near the sort of grasp I do on areas like CAFE, alternative powertrains and the way product planning decisions are made. These lessons have been extremely illuminating for me, and without them, the quality of my work would not be the same.

On behalf of everyone at TTAC, we wish him the best in his future endeavors.



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive