Friday, September 26, 2014

Unexpected Family Car: 2015 Volkswagen Golf

15Golf_entry_CK

When my husband and I became parents, we embraced our new roles with enthusiasm - except when it came to what it might mean for us out on the road. No disrespect, but we just aren't the minivan types and we both enjoy smaller cars with a little more pizazz than your average family crossover. But it didn't take long for us to realize how much a car seems to shrink with a rear-facing car seat in the backseat and a stroller in the trunk. We chose the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta as our family car, which had the largest backseat and cargo area in its class at the time. Now life's become a little simpler with a preschooler, and Mama's thinking about a new car.

Related: 2015 Volkswagen Golf, Golf TDI: First Drive

The timing was right for my family to test the 2015 Volkswagen Golf. I had some concerns about this stylish compact hatchback, but we were off to a great start with its family-friendly lower Latch anchors. The Golf's anchors are covered by plastic doors that flip up to reveal the anchor. No digging, no sweating to install my daughter's car seat; we were off and running.

15Golf_Latch_ck

"Running" is not a euphemism — the Golf's 170-horsepower, turbocharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder gave me all the power I needed to tackle my to-do list. The drive experience was sublime. The car was solid yet nimble on the road.

15Golf_interior_CK

I was impressed by the interior in the Golf TSI SEL tester too. The materials felt upscale and downright Audi-like (VW owns Audi). The ergonomic seats added to the sporty feel and were plenty supportive and comfortable. Even when just driving from one parking lot to another, commutes were always a treat.

15Golf_legroom_ck

There were ample cupholders and cubbies, and the low floor height made it easy for my daughter to get in and out. With 35.6 inches of rear legroom, the Golf has less than the Jetta's 38.1 inches of rear legroom, but it wasn't uncomfortable for my daughter in the backseat or someone sitting in the front passenger seat.

15Golf_cargo_ck

Of course, the hatchback body style made packing for the beach a breeze, and I always seemed to have room to spare. A larger stroller would be pushing the Golf's limits, though — and sorry, double strollers are definitely out. The Golf has 16.5 cubic feet of space behind the backseat and 52.7 cubic feet of room when the 60/40-split rear seats are folded.

The biggest problem I had with the Golf is I only managed to get 20.2 mpg during my weeklong test drive. That's way off its EPA-estimated 25/36/29 mpg city/highway/combined. If fuel economy is high on your priority list, there's a clean-diesel Golf TDI that gets 31/43/36 mpg.

With just one child, the Golf TSI SEL was a great fit for my family. However, I'd have to sacrifice my favorite upgrades (push-button start and navigation) to get one at the right price for our family. My test car cost $28,810, including a destination fee. More interior room may be found inside other competitors, but for small families that desire performance and style along with functionality, the Golf is nearly perfect.

Cars.com photos by Carrie Kim



from KickingTires http://ift.tt/1hiG57n

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive