Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Working On a Harlequin Interior For My Civic, One Junkyard Piece At a Time

There's a liberating feeling when you have to fix some interior component on a beater transportation car (e.g., my destined-to-become-a-track-car 1992 Civic DX) and you don't care about color matching. Item #3,491 on the list of Parts Whose Failure Doesn't Stop You From Driving, But Still Drives You Crazy: the glovebox door latch.
My Civic led a rough life before I bought it five years ago; its previous owner was a blues bass player who lived in Chicago and then San Francisco, parking the car on sketchy side streets near sleazeball blues clubs in both cities. Street-parked cars in San Francisco get broken into about once every two weeks on average, which meant that every lock on the car has been punched or pried out at least a dozen times, and every storage compartment in the interior has been pawed open by many desperate thieves in the throes of amphetamine psychosis and/or the DTs and/or the hippie hippie shakes (in Denver, they just try to cold steal the car itself). The glovebox in my car was always flaky, with a balky latch mechanism damaged by the scrabbling fingers of so many urban entrepreneurs, and last week it finally gave up completely.
Yes, the plastic handle finally snapped off when I opened the glovebox to grab my cassette of I, Fish Driver. I called my local Honda dealer and was quoted a price of just $17.95 for this piece, but it wasn't in stock. I planned to do a junkyard run that day and shoot Junkyard Find photos, anyway, so I thought I'd do some glovebox-latch shopping at the same time. If I couldn't find one, I'd just wait a few days for a new replacement part.
The first yard I visited didn't have any fifth-gen Civics that hadn't been completely gutted (I'm still waiting for 1992-95 Civics to show up in large quantities in self-service junkyards, but this hasn't happened yet), so I looked at Integras, Accords, and Preludes from the same decade. Honda has been known to share components across different models, so maybe the Accord's glovebox latch will fit the Civic.
This one has a lock, but the overall shape is identical to the 92-95 Civic unit. What the heck, it's held in with just two screws and the junkyard wanted only $2.99 for the entire latch mechanism. As an added bonus, it's even the correct gray color!
Unfortunately, the location of the striker is about 1/4″ different in the Accord latch, so it wouldn't work without a bunch of pain-in-ass modifications. The good news was that I planned to do another photo expedition at a second junkyard that afternoon… where I found this fifth-gen Civic coupe.
The interior of this Civic was a very mid-90s beige, which was sort of horrible, but the latch was mechanically correct. This junkyard charged just $1.49 for it.
30 seconds of work and the swap is done.
In a non-beater, this would be a major fashion don't, but I'm this car's final owner!
Anyway, the latch goes well with the only-one-I-could-find replacement for the window crank I snapped off while loading 8-foot 2x6s in the car at the lumberyard. Now I'm tempted to get a green steering wheel.

18 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 01 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 02 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 04 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 05 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 06 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 08 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 12 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 16 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair 17 - 1992 Honda Civic Glovebox Latch Repair

from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com




ifttt puts the internet to work for you. via task 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive