Thursday, May 31, 2012

Project $1500 Volvo: A Big Thanks To The B&B As I Seek Your Counsel Again

Between the comments, private messages and emails, you, the readers, sent over 100 comments on how to get the smoke smell out of Project Volvo. Thank you for providing me one of the rare opportunities to harness "crowdsourcing" in a way that isn't some nebulous social-media pie-in-the-sky frivolity. I've made great strides with shampoo and vinegar/water solutions, and will be moving on to coffee grounds and other tactics. In the mean time, something else has caught my attention.

"Are those alloy wheels corroding?" That was the question, asked incredulously, by my father. I let him drive Project Volvo so he could compare the old dog with his shiny new XC60 (he liked the seats a lot). After giving it a once over, he flicked some paint flakes off the rim, and I noticed that after giving the car a good power wash, all four wheels were in a bad state.

The paint is flaking and bubbling, which means I need to do something or risk having them turn to utter crap by January. I don't want to throw any money into buying new rims, so sanding and painting looks to be the way to go. The question is, should I keep them silver, or do something different. My initial thought was gunmetal, to look slightly more aggressive and to hide the brake dust. If you have a better idea (for re-finishing or for a different color) then let me know in the comments.



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com




ifttt puts the internet to work for you. via task 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive