Tuesday, June 30, 2015

My Sun Sets To Rise Again

Cold Sunset Over Italy Circa March 2015 LQ

Over three years ago, I contacted Jack via private message on Facebook with a question:

Would my skills as a fashion blogger be of any interest to TTAC?

A few months had passed since I was let go (with everyone else) from my previous – and only – full-time job, and I wanted to take my writing to the next level by breaking into journalism, one way or another. Jack brought me aboard, and my journey began in April of 2012.

Nearly two years ago – just after Jack and Derek took over TTAC from ousted editor-in-chief Bertel Schmitt – Jack asked if I was in a place in life where I could start writing again; I disappeared during the summer of 2012, though I did keep busy in the interim. He also informed me I would be paid to write for the blog if I came back. Thus, with "Posse On Broadway" booming from the trunk, I returned in October of 2013.

Alas, all good things must come to an end.

The long version of the story?

* * * * * * * * *
As of July 1, you will have a new news editor joining this blog, whose duties will include what has been – until now – my duty in presenting daily news summaries from around the industry.

I don't know who my replacement is or what they've done in the past – I didn't ask – but I do know they have something I don't: a driver's license.

Seeking the most bang for their buck, VerticalScope decided they needed someone who could drive as well as handle the news, something I could not give my client when they were interviewing for the news editor position earlier this month.

This is what happens when I don't finish what I start, circumstances be damned.

So, where will you find me now? My portfolio is a good place to start, especially if I can be of service to you and/or your organization. I will be writing for other publications, as well, particularly those where the only skills I need to bring to the table are clean copy, accuracy, and quick delivery.

And of course, I will finish what I started here regarding my license. After all, how else would I contribute more original writing to TTAC down the road if I'm still unable to drive?

* * * * * * * * *
Some of you will no doubt protest, perhaps to the point of firing off angry emails, Facebook posts, and tweets to my editor and/or the powers that be. While I appreciate the sentiment, you needn't bother. Trust me on this.

I won't miss waking up early/staying up late to scour the Internet for — and pitch to my editors — five articles per day, five times a week, wondering how well or poorly I reinterpreted what I read, or if the source in question was legit or – as proven this weekend – meant to deceive. Nor will I miss the concept of citing someone else's work in reporting the news; I would much prefer such content to come directly to TTAC, one way or another.

But I will miss you. I will miss you, dearest B&B, whether you gave me grief over how I wrote a given piece and/or headline, were pleased to see an original piece from me instead of the robotic/PR-ish/copypasta retellings, or gotten to know me through the comments while at your worst, and at your best.

And I will miss you, dearest TTAC Zaibatsu. You took a chance on a fashion blogger with a love of cars over three years ago, and for that alone, I thank you. And though I only met one of you in person the entire time I was here, I've enjoyed getting to know as many of you as possible, and watched you go places I can only hope to visit someday.

It has been an honor to serve you all. I will never forget you.

My sun sets to rise again.

(Photo credit: Giorgio Galeotti/Flickr/CC BY-SA 2.0)

The post My Sun Sets To Rise Again appeared first on The Truth About Cars.



from The Truth About Cars http://ift.tt/Jh8LjA

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive