Sunday, March 29, 2015

Crapwagon Outtake: Tabula Rasa

1965-Ford-Cortina-Front

Last week's Hillman Husky/Miata swap provided the example for what I view as the best of both worlds – old European car with an entirely new drivetrain. Here's a half-way finished example that could be turned into a real firecracker – provided you have the patience of Mother Teresa.

"Never buy someone's project car – it's like buying a half finished Science Fair experiment" were the immortal words of a relative, who has managed to keep his 2002 WRX free from modifications, theft or general abuse. It may be the last of its kind in such good condition. I've kept that mantra in my head for some time, but I could be tempted to stray for this.

This 1965 Ford Cortina is very much a work in progress, save for an already swapped in 1.8L Ford Zetec motor. My first inclination for a project like this would be for a Miata swap. But let's face it, the B6 is underpowered and the later BP engines are miserable, torqueless boat anchors. I've had two of them already, and I hope that I avoid it on my next Miata. At the very least, the Zetec has a bit more charm than the BP.

Unfortunately, the rest of the car needs work. Suspension, brakes and if possible, the steering would be upgraded to modern spec. You're already $9,500 in the hole for the car, and all of that could easily double it. On the other hand, you've got a modern day Lotus Cortina so good that even Jim Clark couldn't have dreamed of it.

 

The post Crapwagon Outtake: Tabula Rasa appeared first on The Truth About Cars.



from The Truth About Cars http://ift.tt/Jh8LjA

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive