Monday, December 29, 2014

Piston Slap: Divorced Sleeper Flew The Coupe?

 

Honda-Accord-Coupe-EX-L-V6-2006-1920x1080-007

TTAC Commentator raresleeper writes:

Hello, Sajeev!

I need your wisdom and sound advice, Kind Sir. After what could be called a much needed separation from my wife (undoubtedly the beginning of a very long divorce proceeding), I purchased myself a vehicle. A 2006 Accord Coupe v6 6-Speed.

On cold mornings, I have noticed that the steering is hard to turn if the car isn't moving. Once the car revs just slightly, anything other than idle, the steering effort gets "normal" again. I also hear a whine under the hood on cold mornings, so I am fairly certain that is the power steering pump showing its weakness. Every once in a great while, there is a slight intrusion upon shifting into 3rd. It rarely affects my shifting, but there is a slight notch (best way I can describe it) that I sometimes need to put the extra effort to guide the shifter into while grabbing third.

I paid $9K. The car is the EX model, it has everything besides navigation and the "sport" appearance package (spoiler, etc.). 120k miles. I love this stinkin' car. I went right to a car which I love and the fact that my estranged wife would hate everything about it makes me smile a little more. It's a quick little machine.

Is there anything else I need to have checked maintenance-wise (other than timing belt) before getting too comfortable tossing it about during my morning commute?

As always, thank you kindly. Your assistance here is certainly appreciated.

Sajeev answers:

That's not a bad machine to celebrate your newfound singlehood!  Congrats on this next step in your life.

"I also hear a whine under the hood on cold mornings, so I am fairly certain that is the power steering pump showing its weakness."

I am certain that's normal, most vehicles are less than thrilled with molasses-cold fluids.  These parts are designed to spin warmer liquids, hence the need for a proper warm up routine.

Regarding the transmission and the current mileage, perhaps its time for a fluid swap with fresh Honda fluid or maybe–MAYBE–aftermarket fluids compatible with your transmission.  Or perhaps it's totally normal with cold fluid, if that's a valid correlation in your case.

We've discussed the basics of used car upkeep before, and I focus on neglected rubber bits: tires, belts and hoses. And new shocks might be a worthwhile upgrade at this age, if a like-new ride (or better than new, with performance parts) matters. Always RFTM for the basics and do a comprehensive visual inspection to make sure nothing else is wrong. (i.e. physical damage from the last owner's mistake)

Don't be afraid to get that visual inspection from a mechanic if you have any doubts, especially since they can put it on a lift.

Off to you, Best and Brightest!

Send your queries to sajeev@thetruthaboutcars.com. Spare no details and ask for a speedy resolution if you're in a hurry…but be realistic, and use your make/model specific forums instead of TTAC for more timely advice.

The post Piston Slap: Divorced Sleeper Flew The Coupe? appeared first on The Truth About Cars.



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive