Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Never mind the Shuffle Steering, Let’s Take The Falcon To Hyperspace

Click here to view the embedded video.

When I agreed to meet Hooniverse Editor-In-Chief Tim at Buttonwillow for an open trackday, I hadn't fully considered what it would mean to coach in a 1964 Ford Falcon. To begin with, the car doesn't have five-point belts; it has two-point belts. That's right. Lappies only, no shoulder. And the bench seat moved from ratchet-stop to ratchet-stop in every turn, sometimes twice. Oh yeah, and there was the fact of vintage crash "safety" to consider. (The shot around 1:10 is particularly cringe-inducing.)

Still, as you will see in this video, Tim failed to kill me and in fact took more than fifteen seconds a lap off his time. Due to the Falcon's massive steering wheel and rather lazy steering geometry, I had to relax one of my ironclad rules for students — Tim was permitted to shuffle-steer throughout the entire day. Don't think that means I'm going to let you get away with it in your Miata, okay?

It was great to spend a day with the Hooniverse crew. I really believe that the site represents the best of what Jalopnik used to be: enthusiasm-focused, positive-minded, community-oriented. If you must visit some place else besides us, let it be them, okay?



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive