Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Piston Slap: Sucking At Fluid Changes?

 

(photo courtesy: http://ift.tt/XS5uAl)

Pick Up The Pace! (photo courtesy: http://ift.tt/XS5uAl)

Longtime TTAC Commentator ajla writes:

Hi Sajeev,

I do a more through job at the time of purchase, but every year after I do a drain/refill on the radiator and replace some transmission fluid by using my fluid extractor to vacuum up as much ATF as possible through the dipstick tube.

I know that I'm not getting all the fluids exchanged this way, but my question is how much of a positive impact is this regiment actually having on my cars? Am I just wasting my time? I haven't suffered a mechanical failure since I started doing this, but I don't know if that proves much.

Keep in mind that the vehicles I tend to own are 20 to 30 years old.

Sajeev answers:

In theory, fluid changes via modest exchanging of old for new is a great idea.  I've done this countless times to my brother's C5/C6 Corvette hydraulic clutch reservoirs, especially after his ZR1 (that some might remember) lost the clutch on an especially hot afternoon of autocrossing…and I'm far from Jack Baruth around the rubber cones!

But the need for annual coolant/ATF servicing is unlikely: both coolant (even the old green stuff) and ATF lasts far longer than a year, at least double for coolant and more like quadruple for ATF. Assuming modest annual mileage, vehicle age is somewhat irrelevant, unless it's an old truck regularly towing an overloaded trailer.

For you and your cadre of classics? Do fluid changes like ATF/Coolant every 2-5 years, more often for engine oil (duh) and less for other wear items (brake fluid).

 

Send your queries to sajeev@thetruthaboutcars.com. Spare no details and ask for a speedy resolution if you're in a hurry…but be realistic, and use your make/model specific forums instead of TTAC for more timely advice.

The post Piston Slap: Sucking At Fluid Changes? appeared first on The Truth About Cars.



from The Truth About Cars http://ift.tt/Jh8LjA

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive