Monday, June 25, 2012

Question Of The Day: Have You Ever Just Given Up On… A Car?

Click here to view the embedded video.

My wife had an old Steenkin' Lincoln.

It was a 1983 model. 4 doors. Maroon. What I would call 'Mighty Thor' had been nothing more than a temporary home for sunbathing cats and vast amounts of driveway real estate.

Thumbtacks, staple guns, duct tape, a maroon bathmat for the passenger floor, along with a new battery and fluids gave the car a new life.

For several years it gave my wife basic transportation at a time when gas was cheap and our expenses were slim.

Then it happened…

On the way back home from the interstate, the engine started to sound like a castanet orchestra. My wife pulled over within walking distance from a gas station.

"Steve. The car is making funny sounds. I think it's dead. Can you pick me up?"

I came to the gas station. Took a long walk to the car since no u-turns were possible along the long and winding road… and…

"Clickety-clackety! clickety-clackety!"

At 224,857 miles it was clinging on to dear life. I managed to get it to the gas station where it simply glided into a permanent state of rigor mortis. Never to be awakened again. A tow truck. A $100 cash payment (if I remember right) and the Steenkin' Lincoln was no more.

Thankfully I had discovered a nouveau riche doctor who had been willing to sell his not so old 1986 Camry for $500, plus the impound fee due to his carelessness. So all was still right with the world.

Today's question is, "Have you ever given up on a car?" Some vehicles get to a point when they're worth more dead than alive. So feel free to expound on your old ride's near felonious record of defects and desertions. Extra credit if you left that hideous beast in the middle of nowhere.

 



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive