Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Generation Why: For Comparison, An Acura TSX Ad From 2009

Click here to view the embedded video.

With a few of our readers providing some particularly good insight into Acura's ILX campaign based on their work in marketing, I'm submitting an ad for the TSX from 2009 for their consideration, as well as my own commentary.

The ads are similar in essence, targeting a similar audience, with a similar product with similar positioning. What are the differences? To my untrained eye, the TSX ad is more compelling. If Acura is really going for the "aspirational" aspect, then I aspire more towards the TSX ad; the beach, the open road, the big city skyline, infinity pools, the avant-garde hip-hop/electro soundtrack, the night clubs, lots of long-legged girls that also smile demurely at you.

Also more compelling is the idea of "start-up luxury". That was the main theme they used in Canada. This is apparently a U.S. ad, and they took a slightly different approach.

"This isn't soft luxury. This is start a business, sell it and start another one, luxury"

That's what's mentioned at 27 seconds in. Think about that versus the office stooge/airport hamster characters in the ILX ad. What's more compelling to a young man looking to blaze a trail in the world?

Reader nathaniel called me out for my lack of branding knowledge, and it's true, I'm not a professional marketer. But my past columns seem to have struck a nerve with many people, and like I said, you don't have to be a chef to know the food is bad. Nathaniel, APaGttH, any other marketing pros and anyone interesting in this sort of stuff, let me know what you think about this ad versus the ILX ad. I've already declared my preference. Dissenting opinions always welcome.



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com




ifttt puts the internet to work for you. via task 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive