Thursday, June 14, 2012

The 1969 Datsun 510: GR-R-R-ROOVY!

Yesterday, I shared a Toyota Corona ad from the February 1969 issue of Playboy. I like the Corona for personal reasons, but if the Time Machine took me back to '69 and I didn't have a lot to spend (or even if I did have a lot to spend), the Datsun 510 would be one of my top choices. Wouldn't you know, there's an ad for the 510 in the very same issue!
In response to the question from a commenter on the Corona post, Miss February 1969 was Lorrie Menconi (NSFW link here), and it's possible that she drove a Datsun 510 herself.
For reasons I don't understand, this car is called the "Datsun /2″ in the ad, and it has those godawful non-slip bathtub flowers stuck on its rear quarter. Anyone who knows the story behind the /2 name, please fill us in. 96 horsepower and 25 MPG doesn't look so great today, but those were decent numbers for a small car in 1969. And look: flow-thru fresh air and a stir-easy 4-speed!
1969 Datsun 510 advertisement 4- Picture courtesy of Nissan 1969 Datsun 510 advertisement 2- Picture courtesy of Nissan 1969 Datsun 510 advertisement 3- Picture courtesy of Nissan



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com




ifttt puts the internet to work for you. via task 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive