Monday, March 26, 2012

Piston Slap: Lubeguarding against Ford Tranny Shudder?

 

 

Dan R writes:

Hello Sajeev,

I have a transmission related question that I was hoping you may be able to assist me with. I have a 2003 Mustang GT, 4.6, Auto. 110k. (3rd owner) The car has the occasional classic Ford "AOD trans shudder" at lower RPM under load.

It does not really affect the overall drivability of the car but is an annoyance and I'd like to take care of it. As far as I know this car has never had a trans service done. I've heard mixed reviews on weather to do a trans flush or not.

Would it be advisable to take it to a shop to do a "power flush" or whatever they are calling it, or should I do it myself? I normally do all my maintenance myself.  I have no problem dropping the pan and making a mess, I just want to make sure it will clear up the fluid in the converter.

So, any advice is appreciated, thank you!

Sajeev answers:

I have yet to officially choose a side in the battle between power flushing and the normal fluid/filter change. I like power flushing since it blows out fluid from the torque converter, and you have no other choice.  Why?  Because the bean counters at Ford "thrifted out" the torque converter drain plug (circa 2000) but still left us the rubber access grommet for no good reason…other than being too cheap to thrift that part out, too.

And for classic Ford tranny shudder, you need to change all the fluid, including the converter. I personally know Ford transmission shudder, as I moderate the best Lincoln forum on the planet: a place where Lubeguard Red was/is mentioned regularly. I used it for a Ford tranny shudder many moons ago, and it worked like a charm.

Even at this high-ish mileage, a fluid/filter change and adding Lubeguard Red is a good idea. And now I cursed it: with my luck, my advice means that new fluid will burn out the (excessively worn?) clutches and make things much worse.

Fingers crossed that I didn't screw the pooch.  I hate automatic transmission problems.

Send your queries to sajeev@thetruthaboutcars.com . Spare no details and ask for a speedy resolution if you're in a hurry.



from The Truth About Cars http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com




ifttt puts the internet to work for you. via task 680102

No comments:

Post a Comment

Archive